You are advised to cancel your reserved tickets 48 hours before the departure of the train, for minimum loss. Refunds are explained below.
Refund of fare shall be made on every such ticket after deducting the clerkage.
- The ticket shall be presented for cancellation within three hours of issue of ticket.
- In case of tickets issued in advance the ticket is presented upto 2400 (12 midnight) hours of the day preceding the day of journey
After two hours of the actual departure of the trains, no refund shall be granted. Full refund can be availed for for partially waitlisted tickets upto two hours after departure of the train.
- Before 48 hours of departure of the train, a minimum per passenger cancellation charge shall be deducted at the flat rate of rupees one hundred and twenty for air-conditioned first class/executive class, rupees one hundred for air-conditioned-II tier/first class, rupees ninety for air-conditioned III-tier/ 3 economy/air-conditioned chair car, rupees sixty for sleeper class and rupees thirty for second class
- Between forty eight hours and upto six hours — cancellation charge shall be twenty five per cent of the fare subject to a minimum of the cancellation charge.
- Within six hours before the departure and upto two hours after the actual departure of the train of departure — the cancellation charge shall be fifty per cent of the fare subject to a minimum of the cancellation charge.
- For ticket issued for travel of more than one person, some persons have confirmed reservation and others are on waiting list, full refund of fare, less clerkage, shall be admissible for confirmed passengers also provided that the entire ticket is surrendered for cancellation within six hours before the scheduled departure of the train and upto two hours after actual departure of the train.
- In case of a confirmed e-ticket, refund of fare shall be granted in accordance with rule for unused tickets on which reservation has been made.
Waitlisted or RAC tickets
- If a Waitlisted/RAC ticket is presented for cancellation, refund of fare shall be admissible after deducting the clerkage upto three hours after the actual departure of the train.Provided that for night trains leaving between 21.00 hours and 06.00 hours (actual departure), refund shall be admissible at the station within the time limits specified above or within first four hours after the opening of reservation office, whichever is later.
- In case of the waitlisted e-ticket on which status of all the passengers is on waiting list even after preparation of reservation charts, refund of fare shall be credited to the customers account after deducting the clerkage. No refund of fare shall be admissible on RAC e-tickets in case the request for refund is filed online after three hours of the actual departure of the train.
- In case of e-ticket issued for travel of more than one person, some persons have confirmed reservation and others are on the list of RAC and waiting list, then in case of passengers on RAC or waitlisted not travelling, a certificate has to be obtained from the ticket checking staff to that effect and refund of fare shall be processed online through TDR, indicating the details of the certificate issued by ticket checking staff. The online TDR shall be filed upto seventy two hours of actual arrival of the train at passenger.s destination and the original certificate issued by the ticket checking staff is to be sent through post to Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC).
Tatkal tickets cannot be cancelled. However, waitlisted & RAC tickets can be cancelled as per rules. For e-tickets, IRCTC will reverse the transaction for waitlisted tickets.
Missing of journey due to late running of trains
- No cancellation charge or clerkage shall be levied and full fare shall be refunded to all passengers holding reserved, RAC and waitlisted tickets, if the journey is not undertaken due to late running of the train by more than three hours of the scheduled departure of the train from the station commencing the journey subject to condition that the ticket is surrendered upto the actual departure of the train.
- In case of e-tickets, the TDR is to be filed online before the actual departure of the train for availing full refund.