Did you know that you can transfer your ticket to your family members?
You had planned a trip, but you are unable to travel on the reserved dates. Now, instead of cancelling the ticket, someone in your family can travel in your place – your father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, husband or wife. This has the advantage of not worrying about the seat availability at the late stage, and no further charges are added for making this name change. You also get to keep the same berths if travelling in a group.
How to do it?
- For transfer of ticket, an application must be submitted atleast 24 hours in advance of the scheduled departure of the train.
- You should contact the Station Master/Chief Reservation Supervisor of the nearest railway station and submit an application for the transfer.
- Documents needed – You need to submit photocopies.
- Proof of age of both parties
- Proof of relationship – Some accepted documents for proof of relationship are ration card, voter identity card, bank passbook, passport etc.
A new ticket won’t be issued, but the changes will be noted in the ticket as well as the reservation chart. If you are an e-ticket passenger, take a printout of the ‘Electronic Reservation Slip’ along with the documents.
Transfer of tickets is also allowed in various other cases, with relevant documentation.
- Where the passenger is a Government Servant while on duty, makes a request in writing 24 hours before the scheduled departure of trains
- Where the passengers are students of a recognized educational institution and the Head of the institution makes a request in writing 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, that the reservation made in the name of any student be transferred to any other student of the same institute.
- Where the passengers are members of a marriage party and any person deemed to be Head of such party makes a request in writing 48 hours before the scheduled departure of the train that the reservation made in the name of any member of the marriage party be transferred to any other person.
- Where the passengers are a group of cadets of National Cadet Corps and any officer who is the head of the group, makes a request in writing at least 24 hours before the departure of the train that the reservation made in the name of any cadet be transferred to any other cadet
Such request will be granted only once for the ticket. Please note that travelling on a ticket reserved for someone else is an offence unless you make the required name change as above.